Don’t you HATE when you know something is wrong with your body, but your doctor keeps telling you all your blood work is normal? This happens a lot with women, I think because we have a lot of things going on–inside and outside of our bodies–which effect how we feel.
LISTEN TO THAT INNER VOICE. Its usually right, so if you feel like crap all the time, you look up the symptoms which describe hypothyrodism, you go to the doctor and your numbers are within normal range, BE THANKFUL–your body is talking to you and you have listened. But don’t give up just because your numbers are normal. Now is the time to take control of a body gone awry (that’s probably how you feel, too). Keep reading on natural ways to get back to feeling your normal, amazing self!
Hypothyroidism, especially in the form of “Hashimoto’s Syndrome” among American women is at epidemic proportions and is occuring at younger and younger ages. Many times women identify the symptoms, and know there is something wrong long before their blood tests ever show a “clinical” problem. So when they go to their doctor, they are told they are perfectly within normal limits (but they still feel like crap, so that doesn’t make them feel any better).
Think of these feelings as the way your body talks to you. If you think about it, it has no other way to tell you something needs attention, right? Its not like we have warning lights on us, or alarms going off. The symptoms we feel, and when we just don’t feel right–these are the warning lights and buzzers going off to say–HELLOOOO—I NEED HELP DOWN HERE!
What is really interesting (at least to me–yes I am kind of a geek about this stuff) is that hypothyroid issues are most commonly caused by endocrine issues–which makes WAY more sense that everyone is coming down with this. But, the classic answer to low thyroid is synthetic thyroid–and this really doesn’t solve the problem, hence doses usually have to be increased over time.
Okay, so lets get to the real meat here. Thyroid issues are many times caused by adrenal fatigue, which is caused by– drumroll please…STRESS! We ladies are just trying to do EVERYTHING in the world and our bodies are on massive overload.
Okay, I get that you’re not gonna stop working and start doing yoga 8 hours a day, and that your life will be stress free and butterflies will come to your finger, and birds will help you with your daily tasks. So, what CAN we do to be nice to our bodies? OMG, its so simple you are gonna shake your head!
1. Eat the following: PROTEIN AND FIBER-RICH FOODS like nuts, seeds, veggies, quinoa, beans, eggs and lean meats. Avoid any processed food including breads (I know, sad face, but I guarantee you will feel better!! pinky promise)
2. Drink: filtered water with lemon (or lemon oil), matcha green tea with raw honey (water should be filtered to get flouride out of water–flouride competes with Iodine, an essential nutrient for thyroid function)
3. Include: sea veggies in your diet–SEAWEED ANYONE?
4. Switch to a flouride-free toothpaste (see above for explanation)
5. Take a high quality supplement with Iodine
6. BREATHE–Take 5 deep breaths when you wake up in the morning, in the middle of the day, and when you go to bed. Let your belly expand when you breathe in and push the air out when you exhale.
7. Exercise!!! Oxygenate your cells! Get your blood flowing! It does NOT have to be complicated or take a long time, just:
- take the dog for a brisk walk
- do 10 jumping jacks, rest 20 seconds and repeat 5 times
- do 20 knee lifts, rest 20 seconds and repeat 5 times (to make it harder, lift your arms over your head)
[do these quick exercises twice a day and I guarantee you will feel invigorated!]
8. massage front of neck and bottoms of your feet with pure peppermint and lemongrass oil twice or three times a day.
These basic steps should help you to start to feel better! BE CONSISTENT for at least 4 weeks. You will feel amazing, and I WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT, so leave a comment, please.